This section offers an additional set of selected resources on parent engagement in dropout prevention. We encourage individuals or groups seeking to address the needs of a particular target population (whether it is defined by ethnicity, home language or the particular nature of their educational needs) to seek out additional information about how to tailor strategies to that group’s particular strengths, challenges and realities.
Parent Engagement Resources
- GradNation.org Family Engagement Channel and Resources
This section contains a bibliography of resources, primarily books and journal articles that cannot be accessed online. It is focused on parent engagement and creating a connection with schools to promote student success.
- General parent engagement literature and available toolkits
A rich array of literature exists offering evidence of parent engagement as well as helpful strategies for how to expand parent involvement in their children’s education. The toolkits are from other organizations and school districts to address the need of parent engagement in schools to ensure student academic success.
- Organizations with expertise in parent engagement
This is a selection of national organizations with resources and programs designed to engage and support parents and caregivers around their children’s education. Below is a selected listing of numerous national organizations, including many partners in the America’s Promise Alliance, that have expertise, resources and programs designed to engage and support parents and caregivers around their children’s education.
The following materials are meant to stimulate your thinking about how a focus on the 4As could be implemented:
- Literature relevant to 4A Framework for Parent Engagement in Dropout Prevention
- Chart of issues to consider at key transition points in a student’s academic career
- Chart providing promising examples for how schools and community-based organizations could help parents support the 4As
- 4As worksheet identifying what key stakeholders can do to support a child's educational success
The 4A handouts:
- Attendance Every Day: Ensure that children go to school regularly (English) (Spanish)
- Achievement Every Year: Monitor and help children make satisfactory progress each year (English) (Spanish)
- Attainment Over Time: Set high expectations for children and plan for attaining their long-term goals (English) (Spanish)
- Advocacy For All: Empowering parents and families to improve opportunities for excellence in education (English)