Associate, Resource Development
About America's Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth. Through its signature campaigns, America’s Promise harnesses the collective power of 450 national organizations, 200 communities, and more than 100,000 individuals to mobilize Americans to help create the conditions for success for all young people. America’s Promise is powered by the belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every adult shares the responsibility to help young people succeed.
Building on the legacy of its Founding Chairman General Colin L. Powell and currently led by Board Chair Alma Powell, America’s Promise is grounded in the framework of the Five Promises -- caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, an effective education and opportunities to serve. To learn more visit www.AmericasPromise.org.
Purpose of Position
The Resource Development Associate will be a critical member of the Resource Development team, which is responsible for raising the necessary financial support to meet the organization’s short-term and long-term needs through building and managing relationships with all revenue sources. The Associate will report to the Vice President for Resource Development and will work closely with other members of the Resource Development team and the broader organization.
This position represents an excellent opportunity for learning and growth in the context of addressing a major societal issue. The successful candidate will be characterized by initiative, problem solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness and personal accountability. S/he will combine strong organizational skills with a meticulous attention to detail. S/he will listen carefully, anticipate and pro-actively address the needs and concerns of team members. A strong collaborator, s/he will be ready to help others on the smallest task or take initiative to solve a problem.
- Maintain and enhance the Resource Development team’s contact management system (Raisers’ Edge), ensuring effective and efficient processes for data entry, cleanliness and reporting
- Assist with donor and prospect meeting preparation and follow-up, including drafting and printing meeting materials, scheduling, and other activities as necessary
- Generate and manage contact lists for resource development related communications, including email and direct mail appeals
- Support the proposal and report writing process by copyediting drafts, coordinating and assembling attachments, and other activities as necessary
- Process all gifts and grants received, including drafting and sending donor acknowledgement letters; tracking all relevant gift details, deadlines, and deliverables in the contact management system; and collaborating with Finance to support the organization’s financial planning
- Support the planning and execution of all fundraising events, including managing invitee/RSVP lists, collaborating with various vendors, and other activities as assigned
- Coordinate preliminary prospect research and make recommendations as to whether identified cold prospects are qualified or unqualified
- Monitor news and social media for updates regarding donors and prospects
- Execute other appropriate tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 1-3 years of work experience required; experience administering/managing a fundraising contact management system preferred
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Flexible and adaptable, able to work with ambiguity and changing conditions and priorities
- Ability to manage and balance a wide range of projects and duties in fast moving environment
- Demonstrated ability to execute highly detail-oriented tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Exceedingly organized with ability to juggle multiple tasks and projects at once, while prioritizing deliverables and handling unanticipated demands and requests
- Experience with MS Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and general ability to learn new software
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a collaborative style, ability to engage colleagues at all levels and to serve as an enthusiastic ambassador of America’s Promise
- Passionate and eager to learn and grow in the role
- Please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected]. Please put Associate Resource Development in the Subject line.
- America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks national service members, welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise team, and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
- While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.