Beaufort County, South Carolina
- Community name: Beaufort County
- Community or city website
- Population: 147,800
- Graduation rate: 69.1%
- Youth poverty rate: 15.7%
Beaufort County, a first-time 100 Best community winner, supports its youth with various after-school programs and health initiatives. The YMCA of Beaufort County, the Boys & Girls Club of the Lowcountry and the Beaufort County School District provide a supervised environment with tutors available for youth before and after school. Beaufort County Parks and Leisure Services make health and wellness a priority by providing free recreational programs for young people after school and during the summer.
Beaufort also provides leadership development opportunities for youth through its annual Beaufort County Youth Leadership Conference which is held in partnership with several agencies and community organizations and is open to all middle- and high school-aged youth. To ensure students grow up healthy, Beaufort has coordinated a health model made up of 16 local organizations that aims to reduce childhood obesity, increase access to health services, advance health education programs and provide more opportunities for youth to participate in physical activity.
- The Beaufort County Youth Leadership Conference supports and promotes leadership development among young people. with this educational event held in partnership with local organizations.
- The Beaufort County Alliance for Human Services is a partnership of nonprofit, public and private agencies, organizations and community members that promote and sustain activities that improve the quality of life for all Beaufort County residents by addressing the economy, education, poverty, health and environmental issues.
- The YMCA of Beaufort County and the Boys & Girls Club of the Lowcountry partner with the Beaufort County School District to provide supervised environments with tutors available for youth before and after school.
- The Beaufort County Parks and Leisure Services offers free recreational programs after school and during the summer.
- Beaufort has a coordinated health model composed of 16 local agencies that aim to reduce childhood obesity, increase access to health services and advanced health education programs and provide more opportunities for physical activity.
I have never seen more people who get together and come out for events that are happening in and out of school than I have seen here. When I moved here, I got involved in sports. I joined the cross country team and felt I had been a part of it my entire life. The teams are made up of kids you go to school with and the whole community gets together for games.
I never before had access to public pools. It helped me develop my swimming skills and fitness. Classes are small; my math and science classes have fourteen students each. They are taught almost exclusively by highly-qualified teachers, boast electronic Promethean boards in every class and feature a great focus on the arts.