Calvert County, Maryland
- Community name: Calvert County
- Community or city website
- Population: 88,126
- Graduation rate: 91.1%
- Youth poverty rate: 4.8%
For the second time, Calvert County, Md. has been named one the 100 Best Communities for Young People by America’s Promise Alliance. Along with a high-achieving public school system and a 91 percent graduation rate, members of the Calvert County community support local youth outside of school. The Calvert County Family Network (CCFN) has arranged a System of Care Planning (SOC) Committee, which brings together department heads of all the county and local state departments serving children and families to implement comprehensive community-based, family-driven services for youth and families. The 75 service-learning hours Calvert County students are required to complete in order to graduate gives them perspective while addressing a recognized need in the community.
- The Calvert County Family Network (CCFN) has arranged a System of Care Planning (SOC) Committee, with department heads of all the county and local state departments serving children and families, to implement comprehensive community-based, family-driven services for youth and families.
- Alternative programs such as twilight school, 9th grade academy, 6th grade teams, Saturday school, summer school, an algebra enrichment program, intervention programs and a 1 hour lunch program in local high schools provide all students with ample access to remediation, interventions, compensatory services, social skills training and mentoring.
- Calvert County students are required to complete 75 Service Learning hours to graduate. Within the community, 25 agencies have been approved as Service Learning Partners and Service Learning must address a recognized need in the community.
The partnerships I see between young and old, from Girl Scouts and End Hunger in Calvert County to extracurricular activities and parks and recreation leagues, lead me to confidently say that the "grownups" here haven't forgotten what it is like to be a child.
Along with the teachers, coaches are also dedicated. Whether it is school sports or Parks and Recreation, they stand by their athletes and help them reach their goals.