Executive Assistant, Office of the President
DATE REVISED: August 8, 2018
DEPARTMENT: Office of the President
POSITION TITLE: Executive Assistant
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Direct Report to Sr. Director, Executive Operations & Events
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: [None]
Purpose of Position
America’s Promise Alliance is seeking an exceptionally motivated and highly committed rising star to provide support to the President and the management team. Under direction of the Sr. Director, Executive Operations & Events, the Executive Assistant in the Office of the President will support a wide range of activities including the President & CEO and management team’s work with key colleagues, partners, stakeholders and donors. The ideal candidate will combine passion for the well-being of America’s young people with the skills needed to help the organization leverage maximum benefit from management team.
About America's Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is devoted to helping create the conditions for success for all young people, including the millions currently being left behind. The organization’s work is powered by the belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed. In pursuing this mission, America’s Promise is committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals of all backgrounds and from all sectors who are dedicated to bettering the lives and life prospects of young people in America.
America’s Promise was launched at The Presidents’ Summit for America’s Future held in Philadelphia in April 1997. All the living presidents (Clinton, Bush, Carter, Ford and Nancy Reagan representing her husband) came to the event to underscore the national commitment to making children and youth a top priority. Each of the presidents signed the Summit Declaration that set out the Five Promises for every child and serves as the guiding force for America’s Promise. Ret. General Colin Powell chaired the Presidents’ Summit, and then become the founding Chair of America’s Promise.
The nation’s largest partnership of its kind, America’s Promise Alliance brings together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, communities, educators, youth and individuals behind a commitment to making the promise of America accessible to all young people. With an annual operating budget of $10M+, APA frames its work around the Five Promises articulated in the Summit Declaration and that must be kept to every young person in America – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, an effective education, and opportunities to serve.
As America’s Promise accelerates its work on existing initiatives like the GradNation Campaign and launches exciting new projects like the Healthy Schools Initiative and the Youth Employment project, the organization is searching for people with the skills, passion, and drive to help work toward its vision that every child in America has the opportunity and support to reach his or her full potential and pursue his or her American Dream.
Essentail Job Functions
The Executive Assistant, Office of the President, must be able to interact with staff and stakeholders at all levels, showing resourcefulness, flexibility, and a high level of professionalism. The Executive Assistant will work closely with the Sr. Director, Executive Operations & Events to coordinate the management team’s external and internal priorities and to ensure efficient distribution of time.
The position will involve a wide range of assignments and will require analytical ability and organizational skills. While the Executive Assistant position will span many types of assignments, some of which can’t be anticipated in advance, most of the work will fall into three categories: research and briefings, project management support, and scheduling.
- Research and Briefings:
- Work with others to prepare briefing materials for speaking engagements and other CEO communications.
- Work with other departments/teams to conduct research and help the President & CEO be prepared for external and internal meetings
- Project Management Support:
- Support the Sr. Director, Executive Operations & Events and the Management team in exploring, pursuing, managing and following through on projects, events, and strategic initiatives. The Executive Assistant will also provide support and assist with managing meetings and correspondence with the Board of Directors.
- Support the Management team’s effective time management by maintaining an updated calendar, arranging travel and accommodations and reconciling expenses.
- 1-3 years of experience supporting senior leadership
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Outstanding time management and organization skills
- Ability to take initiative, set priorities, efficiently and effectively organize work and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience collaborating and gathering information from multiple sources to create materials, compose analytical briefs, and draft communications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to thrive in and contribute to a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to the mission of America’s Promise Alliance
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected]. Please put Executive Assistant in the Subject line.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team, and we are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.