Senior Director, Communications
Position Description: As part of a fully integrated communications team, the Senior Director of Communications reports to the Vice President of Communications & External Relations and will contribute to the development, direction and implementation of the overall communications strategy for America’s Promise, its campaigns and initiatives as well the Center for Promise (research institute at Boston University). While knowledge of digital platforms is expected, applicants must be highly skilled in both media relations and content development (writing/editing).
The Senior Director will focus on overseeing the day-to-day communications activity for media engagement and various editorial projects to support the campaigns and initiatives of America’s Promise, including the development of media materials, building relationships with media and external leaders; informing strategy and implementing communications tactics and initiatives; raising the profile of the organization; promoting research and events; supporting partner initiatives; and working collaboratively across all levels of the organization.
- Strategy: Work closely with the Vice President to develop and execute communications plans that will raise the profile and visibility of America’s Promise, its campaigns and initiatives as well as the Center for Promise.
- Media: Lead day-to-day activity for media relations and engagement, including the creation of media materials, such as press releases, media advisories, talking points, building relationships with reporters/editors, pitching of story ideas and placement of op-eds and blogs in key publications to enhance the thought-leadership of America’s Promise.
- Editorial: Review, write and edit organizational documents, such as brochures, reports, briefs, department and campaign overviews and web content in addition to developing multi-media stories that are engaging, inspirational and solutions-driven to support the work of America’s Promise and its Alliance.
- External Relations: Serve as the lead day-to-day communications contact with funders and other partners on specific campaigns and initiatives. Work closely on engagement with APA CommNet group, the communications staff working within our Alliance organizations, to coordinate professional development opportunities, webinars and meetings, as appropriate.
- Campaign/Initiative Communications: Serve as day-to-day lead on select campaign and initiative work, providing media and content development support to those ventures, as appropriate.
- Analytics: Review, contribute and edit metrics reports for program-specific campaigns and projects.
- Cross-Collaboration: Work collaboratively with various internal teams across the organization to provide media and content development products and services that support our campaigns and initiatives.
- Supervisory/Leadership: Manage and provide guidance to junior staff as needed across various projects. Oversee relationships with external media vendors (Meltwater, Cision, PoliticoPro, PR Newswire, PR firms, etc.) and as a leader within the organization participate as a member of the Leadership team, providing guidance and advise on the strategic direction of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Public/Media Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism required. Graduate degree in related field a plus.
- Position requires at least 7-8 years of work experience in a related field.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented. Should possess good organizational and multi-tasking skills, which will help them to juggle a busy workload and meet deadlines.
- Strong understanding of the synergies between media and digital strategy.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with internal cross-functional teams.
- Must have strong working knowledge of digital platforms – web, social media, e-marketing, video – and how it integrates within a high-functioning communications team.
- Experience working with media vendors like Cision, Meltwater, TrendKite and/or CoverageBook desirable.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office applications required.
- Strong interest in youth development/education ideal.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter to [email protected]. Please include the position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
About America's Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals from all business sectors who are interested in dedicating a portion of their careers to bettering the lives of young Americans. We are devoted to helping to create the conditions for success for all young people, including the millions currently being left behind. Our work is powered by our belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed. We are the nation’s largest partnership of our kind, bringing together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, communities, educators and ordinary citizens behind the idea of making the promise of America accessible to all young people. To learn more visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.