Fall 2015 Communications Internship
About America’s Promise Alliance: America’s Promise Alliance is the nation’s largest partnership organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth by raising awareness, supporting communities, and engaging in nonpartisan advocacy. Through our GradNation campaign, we harness the collective power of our partner network to mobilize Americans to end the high school dropout crisis and prepare young people for college and the 21st century workforce. Building on the legacy of our Founding Chairman General Colin Powell, the Alliance believes the success of our young people is grounded in the Five Promises -- caring adults; safe places; a healthy start; an effective education; and opportunities to help others. To learn more visit www.americaspromise.org.
Position: Communications Intern
Description: America’s Promise Alliance’s Communications Department seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist with internal and external communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications while working for a well-known, national youth development nonprofit organization.
- Candidate has completed or is working toward a college degree, preferably majoring in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Solid understanding of social media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with good organizational and multi-tasking skills. Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Previous non-profit internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus.
- A strong interest in youth development/education ideal.
- Draft web news articles for AmericasPromise.org.
- Draft GradNation Community Summit recap summaries.
- Pull together top 3-5 news articles and craft social media tweets for daily digest.
- Manage and maintain communications content calendar.
- Draft communications agenda for weekly meetings.
- Assist with compiling content for APB e-newsletter.
- Update social media influencer chart.
- Assist with communications research projects.
Start Date: Position open until filled. Requires 4-5 month commitment starting September 2015.
Hours: 15-20 hours per week preferred. In office 2-3 times per week.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected]. Please put Communications Intern in the Subject line.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks national service members and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team, and are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.