Fall 2015 Media Relations Internship
About America’s Promise Alliance: America’s Promise Alliance is the nation’s largest partnership organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth by raising awareness, supporting communities, and engaging in nonpartisan advocacy. Through our GradNation campaign, we harness the collective power of our partner network to mobilize Americans to end the high school dropout crisis and prepare young people for college and the 21st century workforce. Building on the legacy of our Founding Chairman General Colin Powell, the Alliance believes the success of our young people is grounded in the Five Promises -- caring adults; safe places; a healthy start; an effective education; and opportunities to help others. To learn more visit www.americaspromise.org.
Position: Media Relations Intern
Description: America’s Promise Alliance’s Communications Department seeks a dynamic, high-level intern to assist with external communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to build on basic media relations skills while working for a well-known, national youth development nonprofit organization.
- Experience either through a summer job or other internship/work experience as well as a basic knowledge of media relations.
- Candidate should have completed or is working toward a college degree, preferably majoring in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Experience with building media lists in excel a must.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications required.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with good organizational, research and multi-tasking skills. Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of media vendors such as Meltwater, PR Newswire and Lexis Nexis desired.
- Previous experience working directly with media is a plus.
- A strong interest in youth development/education ideal.
NOTE: This is a position in media relations, NOT social media. Only serious candidates should apply.
- Draft brief web news stories for AmericasPromise.org.
- Assist with drafts of basic press releases.
- Create and maintain a 2015 editorial/content calendar of potential media opportunities.
- Maintain a contact directory of all communications professionals within our Alliance partner network.
- Develop and maintain a list of speaking engagements for the president & CEO.
- Identify, build and maintain a key stakeholder list of reporters, external communications professionals (associations, government agencies) and any high profile personalities.
- Identify and create a list of key speaking engagement opportunities for senior management.
- Track and save relevant press clippings to maintain an institutional clips reporting process.
- Research various media opportunities.
- Draft interview prep materials for senior leadership.
- Build and maintain media lists in excel.
- Assist with any media training activities.
- Assist with the creation of a standard APA media kit - digital and print.
- Develop monthly media reports.
- Assist with monitoring and tracking any and all external media vendors (Meltwater, Politico, etc.)
Start Date: Position open until filled. Requires 4-5 month commitment. Start date September 2015.
Hours: 15-20 hours per week preferred. In office at least three (3) times per week.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and a letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected]. Please put Media Relations Intern in the Subject line.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks national service members and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team, and are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.