Fall 2017 Media and Writing Internship
About America’s Promise Alliance: America’s Promise Alliance is the nation’s largest partnership organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth by raising awareness, supporting communities, and engaging in nonpartisan advocacy. Through our GradNation campaign, we harness the collective power of our partner network to mobilize Americans to end the high school dropout crisis and prepare young people for college and the 21st century workforce. Building on the legacy of our Founding Chairman General Colin Powell, the Alliance believes the success of our young people is grounded in the Five Promises -- caring adults; safe places; a healthy start; an effective education; and opportunities to help others. To learn more visit www.americaspromise.org.
Position: Media & Writing Intern
Description: America’s Promise Alliance’s Communications Department seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist with internal and external communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications while working for a well-known, national youth development nonprofit organization.
- Candidate has completed or is working toward a bachelor’s or master’s degree, preferably in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Strong interest in traditional media outreach. (This is NOT a digital/social media position.)
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with good organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be able to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Previous non-profit internship or related experience in marketing or communications preferred.
- Interest in youth development/education.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
Responsibilities may include:
- Updating various media lists and other spreadsheets.
- Day to day media monitoring and tracking.
- Assisting with communications research projects.
- Compiling data for monthly metrics reports.
- Draft web news articles and blog posts for AmericasPromise.org. (May include covering local events, reporting on recent research, and conducting original reporting and interviews.)
- Assist with compiling content for the bi-weekly e-newsletter.
- Research new and emerging media.
Start Date: Requires 3-4 month commitment starting September 2017.
Hours: 15-20 hours per week preferred. In office at least three times per week.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and a letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected].
Please put Media & Writing Intern in the Subject line.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks national service members and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team, and are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.