Fall River, Massachusetts
- Community name: Fall River
- Website: http://www.fallriverma.org/
- Population: 88,857
- Graduation rate: 71.0%
- Youth poverty rate: 30.6%
Fall River, a third-time 100 Best winner, uses America’s Promise Alliance’s Five Promises as a framework for success. The community’s Youth CHOICES taskforce unites local organizations so they can share resources, plan activities for youth and increase access to community grant opportunities. The city employs a Massachusetts Promise Fellow who creates, leads and manages youth development projects for a year of service. Currently, the Promise Fellow is working with middle school and high school students to create a Youth Master Plan that will outline the community’s youth-oriented goals for the next few years.
Fall River also has an Access to Health Care Task Force that promotes community health and wellness by providing access to health education, primary care, screenings and referrals to underserved residents. The Task Force, comprising 25 organizations, meets monthly to identify resources needed and define support objectives for families living in temporary housing.
The community’s Youth CHOICES taskforce unites local organizations so they can share resources, plan activities for youth and increase access to community grant opportunities.
- The Young Parent Support Program provides free and confidential home-based services to pregnant and parenting teens under the age of 24.
- The Access to Health Care Task Force promotes community health and wellness by increasing underserved community members’ access to health education, primary care, health screenings and referrals.
- The Boys & Girls Club’s Live Explore Aim Dream program provides club members with adult mentors who assist with activities related to recreation, the community, education and health.
- Fall River has a local affiliate of the Gateway to College program, which empowers youth who have dropped out of high school or are not on track to graduate to earn a diploma and dual credit in a supportive college environment.
“Participating in all these programs of Fall River has shaped who I have become; I have learned to vocalize my opinion and have become an open minded leader who can serve as a role model.”