Greater Midland, Michigan
- Community name: Greater Midland
- Website: http://www.midland-mi.org/
- Population: 83,592
- Graduation rate: 89.2%
- Youth poverty rate: 11.9%
Greater Midland is being honored as a 100 Best winner for the fifth time for its ongoing commitment to youth health and safety. The community’s Youth Master Plan addresses ways for organizations and businesses to proactively serve youth. To address community poverty, housing, and health issues, the Health and Human Services Council, a collaboration of nonprofit organizations, foundations and health and human service organizations, works to ensure the welfare of Midland residents. To encourage healthy self-esteem among young girls, Shelterhouse, a domestic and sexual violence agency, sponsors Girls Run. Girls Run provides girls in 3rd through 5th grades with health education and support in training for a 5K run. Community service and volunteerism are also encouraged in Midland where teens are given volunteer opportunities through the Youth Action Council. The Council is made up of young people who volunteer with a variety of nonprofit organizations including the Salvation Army.
- The Youth Master Plan coordinates organizations across the community to develop programs that will benefit the development of young people.
- The Health and Human Services Council merges the efforts of nonprofit organizations, foundations and health and human service organizations to promote Midland’s welfare by addressing poverty, housing, family relational and health issues.
- Girls Run is an initiative to help girls in grades three through five develop self-esteem by training for 5K races and other health education activities.
- The Youth Action Council pairs teens with organizations for volunteer opportunities.
“ Not only did the Pregnancy Resource Center help me, but they gave a nice quiet place for Midland’s teen mothers to go and talk and get advice from somebody who is walking in the same shoes as you.”