- Community name: Honolulu
- Community or city website
- Population: 902,564
- Graduation rate: 65.1%
- Youth poverty rate: 11%
OverviewAs a four-time 100 Best Communities for Young People winner, Honolulu continues to promote the growth and development of its youth through education, leadership and community service projects. Honolulu’s 21st Century Ahupua’a Youth Ambassadors Program encourages students to become involved in promoting sustainability in the community. The Youth Services Center’s Alternative Diploma Program helps more than 150 students to earn their diplomas annually and requires students to complete 100 hours of community service or employment. Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE) is taught in 156 public and private schools, reaching 16,000 students in the fifth, eighth and 10th grades. Gang Resistance Education and Training (GREAT) educates 7,800 seventh graders at 22 middle schools about the law and alternatives to gang membership.
- The 21st Century Ahupua'a Youth Ambassadors Program is an initiative created by Mayor Mufi Hannemann to encourage sustainability in the city through youth environmental summits and community volunteer cleanup events.
- The Youth Services Center Alternative Diploma Program works with local high schools to implement a competency-based diploma program for non-high school graduates.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Honolulu (BBBSH) oversees 735 community-based mentoring relationships and 25 site-based programs that offer locations for youth and mentors to meet.
- The Gang Resistance Education and Training (GREAT) is a 10-week curriculum that reaches 7,800 seventh graders at 22 middle schools with information about the law and alternatives to gang membership.
- The Youth Services Center offers a variety of programs to serve at-risk, economically disadvantaged and offender youth through age 24.
Our classes at school let us work together on projects like chimera books.
People here are friendly and have the aloha spirit. We work together like a family no matter what our language or skin color.