- Community name: Indio
- Website: http://www.indio.org/
- Population: 76,036
- Graduation rate: 84.3%
- Youth poverty rate: N/A
Indio was honored as a 100 Best winner for a second time because of its comprehensive and cross sector approach to supporting children and youth. The city recently invested $7 million to develop a state-of-the art Teen Center that serves as an afterschool facility for middle school and high school students, offering a safe environment with a variety of educational and recreational activities.
All sectors in Indio are committed to doing their part to support area youth. The Indio Youth Task Force, a nonprofit organization created by the Indio Police Department, connects families with more than 100 community organizations that focus on providing support for children and teens. The Task Force also provides mini-grants up to $3,000 to support youth sports programs, clubs and groups. To address student educational support and career placement, the city developed the Regional Occupational Program, which offers classes in 50 career areas and connections with approximately 2,000 employers.
- The Indio Teen Center is a state-of-the art facility designed as an after school facility that provides educational and recreational activities for young people.
- The Indio Youth Task Force is a nonprofit organization created by the Indio Police Department to connect families with over 100 community organizations that contribute to providing positive direction and support for children and teens.
- Indio’s Regional Occupational Program offers classes in 50 career areas and 2,000 places of employment to provide young people with career advancement opportunities.
- The Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council is comprised of city-wide teens who advocate on behalf of the young people in the community.
“The City of Indio is set apart from the rest of the cities in the Valley due to their directed attention to youth and helping to build a better community. It all starts with what really matters: our future.”
“ Indio is a place that is ideal for teens to be around; it offers many programs to young adults that will benefit them in their future careers or as a general learning experience.”—Alejandro