Maine Dropout Prevention Summit
Summit Location: University of Maine
Summit Planning Team:
- The Planning Team includes youth coordinators and a youth core group from the Portland High School Alternative Program
- Youth Coordinators, Willo Wright, Beth Arsenault and Sophie Payson
- Darren Joyce, AmeriCorps Vista
- Lauren Sterling, Children’s Cabinet
- Jim Artesani, Institute for the Study of Students at Risk
- Shared Youth Vision Council subgroup-Emanuel Pariser(Truancy, Dropout and Alternative Education Advisory Committee), Deborah Chase( Maine Afterschool Network), Ansley Newton(Student Assistance Team), Elena Perrello(Maine School Counselor Association), Carolyn J. Dorrity, RN Executive Director Acadia Health Education Coalition, Ann Conway.
Hosted by the Maine Children’s Cabinet the state summit brought together Shared Youth Vision Council, Institute for the Study of Students at Risk, Truancy, Dropout and Alternative Education Advisory Committee and Children's Cabinet Commissioners. Youth from Portland High School Alternative Education Program also had a prominent role in the event. Presenters included First Lady Baldacci, state legislators and Susan Gendron, State Superintendent. As a result of the summit, regional dropout prevention planning teams have been formed and regional action planning will be facilitated in the coming months.