Senior Director, Alliance Engagement
Opening – May 2017
America’s Promise Alliance seeks a strategic, proactive and high-energy person to fill the position of Senior Director, Alliance Engagement. The Senior Director contributes to the development, direction and implementation of the overall Alliance Engagement strategy. She/he will be responsible for leading the overall GradNation campaign to increase high school graduation rates to 90 percent by 2020. As part of the campaign, the Senior Director will also serve as the project director for the GradNation State Activation Initiative (a collaboration with Pearson) which works to increase high school graduation rates by leveraging statewide change in three ways: by encouraging innovation and collaboration, by sharing knowledge to accelerate adoption of proven strategies, and by developing successful models all states can replicate.
About America's Promise
America’s Promise Alliance is the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth. We bring together more than 400 national organizations and thousands of community leaders to focus the nation’s attention on young people’s lives and voices, lead bold campaigns to expand opportunity, conduct groundbreaking research on what young people need to thrive, and accelerate the adoption of strategies that help young people succeed. GradNation, our signature campaign, has helped to increase the nation’s high school graduation rate to a record high. In the past 12 years, an additional 2 million young people have graduated from high school. America’s Promise works to create an America where every young person has the chance to succeed and every adult the responsibility to make it happen.
- Lead the overall GradNation campaign including: managing the cross-functional campaign team; engaging campaign co-conveners and other critical partners; and ensuring effective development and quality execution of campaign strategies and activities
- Manage the GradNation State Activation Initiative ensuring timely and effective planning and implementation of all project elements including: managing grants; providing technical assistance to statewide conveners; and developing and supporting a learning agenda and broad learning community
- Build and manage relationships with targeted stakeholders interested in and working to improve graduation rates (funders, national organizations, state and community leaders, etc.)
- Provide support and leadership across all Alliance Engagement departmental activities.
- Assist with the development of a robust Alliance Partner network by supporting strategic planning, recruitment, communications and engagement
- Develop specializations and expertise, as needed, in particular sectors (e.g. education) or service areas (e.g. mentoring or school discipline) as Alliance strategies or priorities dictate
- Supervise and manage staff, maintaining a culture of high expectations, producing quality work and continuous growth and learning
- Serve on the Leadership Team and support America's Promise Alliance's overall strategy, key events and activities
- Work collaboratively with internal cross-functional teams.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum 7 years work experience preferably in education and/or youth development/serving field; experience with state and community engagement/support, national partnerships, national campaigns, and/or youth-focused programs desirable.
Additional skills, knowledge and abilities required:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize deliverables and handle unanticipated demands and requests,
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, ability to engage colleagues at all levels.
- Experience supervising staff and leading teams.
- Maturity and confidence to work internally and externally with national, state and local leaders, partners, staff and consultants to support the organization’s efforts.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected]. Please put (Senior Director, Alliance Engagement) in the subject line.
America’s Promise welcomes diversity of all types and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.