Senior Editor & Writer, Communications & Marketing Department
Opening – May 2017
America’s Promise Alliance seeks a strategic, proactive and high-energy person to fill the position of Senior Editor & Writer, Communications & Marketing Department. America’s Promise Alliance is devoted to helping to create the conditions for success for all young people in the United States, including the millions currently being left behind. Our work is powered by our belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed. To pursue this mission most effectively, we are committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals from all sectors who are interested in dedicating a portion of their careers to bettering the lives of young people in America.
About America's Promise
As the nation’s largest partnership of its kind, America’s Promise Alliance brings together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, communities, and educators behind a commitment to making the promise of America accessible to all young people. We frame our work around Five Promises that we believe must be made and kept to every young person – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, an effective education, and opportunities to serve.
With these promises at work for all young people, we believe the nation can reach the goal of 90 percent on-time high school graduation by 2020. Through our GradNation campaign, we are leading the effort to reach this critical milestone so that more young people are on track to thriving in school, work, community and life.
As we accelerate our work on existing initiatives like the GradNation campaign and prepare to launch new work and new initiatives in 2017, we are searching for individuals with the skills, passion, and drive to help us work toward our vision that every child in America has the opportunity and support to reach his or her full potential and pursue his or her American Dream.
America’s Promise Alliance is devoted to helping to create the conditions for success for all young people in the United States, including the millions currently being left behind. Our work is powered by our belief that all children are capable of learning and thriving, and that every individual, institution and sector shares the responsibility to help young people succeed. To pursue this mission most effectively, we are committed to being a workplace of choice for professionals from all sectors who are interested in dedicating a portion of their careers to bettering the lives of young people in America.
General Editing & Writing (approximately 70%): With an eye for writing quality, readability, and adherence to organizational voice and style, edit all major written works produced by America’s Promise Alliance. Specific editorial responsibilities include:
- CEO communications – Develop and edit communications from the CEO office, including board materials, speeches, talking points, and op-eds.
- Research briefs and reports – Work closely with the Center for Promise, our research institute, to review and edit all research materials.
- Marketing materials – Develop and edit various marketing materials, including brochures, fliers, booklets, etc. Hire and supervise freelance designers and printers.
- Grant proposals – Review and edit grant proposals, as appropriate.
- Web and e-blast copy – Edit web, enewsletter, and e-blast copy to support research, programming and other materials with writer support, as appropriate.
News Content Development (30%): Work closely with the Vice President of Communications & External Relations and the writer/editor on editing content to support the organization’s (3) news channels: America’s Promise Bulletin, Communities Newsletter and Promise News (formerly known as Ed-Lines), producing news stories and analysis from around the country on developments related to youth development and efforts to improve high school graduation rates.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Original Content – Produce and edit high-level stories that include multimedia products like photography, audio, and video to support the content strategy for the organization.
- Curation – Curate third-party news content that is relevant to the editorial focus.
- Editorial Board – Maintain an internal editorial board of key staff relevant to content development and an external network of respected professionals to advise on journalism standards and ethics that will guide the work.
- Staffing – With writer support, recruit, maintain, and hire from a shortlist of freelance journalists / contributors covering various beats and/or geographic areas of the country.
- Budgeting – Work closely with VP to deliver maximum performance within defined budget parameters.
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications or similar field (Required)
At least 10 years of journalism or writing/editing experience, preferably including experience at a news service, nonprofit organization, and/or government agency.
Additional skills, knowledge and abilities required:
- A network of contacts among working journalists and nonprofit professionals, which will aid in the recruitment of freelance contributors.
- An excellent record of writing, editing, and producing journalistic content across written, spoken, and visual formats.
- An excellent eye for good stories, insightful coverage, and compelling narratives.
- Experience editing and directing news content; experience editing corporate writing content a distinct plus.
- The ability to translate raw writing into relevant, high quality, compelling news content.
- Experience managing freelancers, editorial calendars, and aggressive publishing schedules.
- Enthusiasm, energy, and capacity to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong team player who can handle the demands of a highly-collaborative office culture.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a letter detailing your interest in the position to: [email protected]. Your letter will be considered a writing sample. Please put Senior Editor Position in the Subject line.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.