- Community name: Aurora
- Community or city website
- Population: 309,091
- Graduation rate: 56.7%
- Youth poverty rate: 24.0%
Aurora, a 100 Best winner for the second time, encourages youth success through early intervention, after-school programs and job training initiatives. Aurora ensures its youth have a healthy and safe start through the Nurturing Parent Program. The program helps new parents build the necessary skills to become supportive parents. The Arapahoe County Early Childhood Council also supports early intervention initiatives like daycare and mental health programs.
The Colorado Preschool Program, attempts to curb dropout rates by providing quality early-childhood education to the children in Aurora by enabling them to attend preschool for free. Older youth in Aurora can attend free after-school programs through COMPASS, and can receive arts job-training at Downtown Aurora Visual Arts. Aurora also provides job training and college preparation assistance to youth transitioning out of the foster care system through the Chafee Foster Care Independence Program.
- The Chafee Foster Care Independence Program assists youth that are transitioning out of foster care through workshops on budgeting, job interviewing, college preparation and finding housing.
- The Arapahoe County Early Childhood Council (ACECC) is a multi-agency initiative that optimizes resources and opportunities to support a safe, smart and healthy start for young children and their families.
- The Colorado Preschool Program provides free, high quality preschool programs to more than 1,300 children.
- The Nurturing Parent Program helps new parents build the necessary skill to be nurturing parents.
- COMPASS provides free or low-cost after-school and summer enrichment programs for youth.
Downtown Aurora Visual Arts provides free drop-in studio and job-training art programs designed to provide young people with the tools needed to create a new vision for their community through the arts.
Aurora is an incredible place for young people to live because we realize the power of putting resources and support into building our future and young people. Our high schools have an unprecedented system of placing high school students into college settings and programs that will aid them in their post-secondary education.
Rebound Ombudsman helped me open those doors that I thought were closed for me. The teachers helped me a lot especially Mrs. Budke. She helped me a lot at Rebound Ombudsman. For the first time in my life, I finished all my work. "Thank you Mrs. Budkee you were one of the reasons that I finished school and plan to attend college."—Viviana