Bergenfield School District, New Jersey
- Community name: Bergenfield School District
- Website: http://www.bergenfield.org
- Population: 26,764
- Graduation rate: 94.6%
- Youth poverty rate: 6.9%
Bergenfield School District, a first-time 100 Best winner, earned a spot on the list because of its multiple programs that support the success of all students. One initiative paired Bergenfield with Seton Hall University to create a post-secondary program for students with autism so they can experience college life and independent living while gaining work skills. In addition, its Tri-Valley Academy provides comprehensive educational services for autistic children. Outside of the classroom, children with autism can join the Not Far From Par program, which uses golf to teach social, education and life skills.
The community’s long-standing support of the Bergenfield School District has allowed the schools to not only increase and improve course selection but improve computer to student ratio by 300 percent and provide full-day kindergarten. Also, the local Community Response Team which comprises police, educators, psychologists, a councilmember, clergy and social workers, reach out to troubled youth in the community.
- The Bergenfield Tri-Valley Academy provides comprehensive educational servicesfor children with autism.
- The Not Far From Par program serves children with autism and uses golf as a tool to teach social, educational and life skills to participants.
- The Bergenfield School District works with the Community Health Improvement Partnership (CHIP) of Bergen County, which develops, implements and promotes initiatives to improve the health and lives of people who live, work, or attend school in Bergen County.
- Bergenfield’s Community Response Team, which includes police, educators, psychologists, a councilmember, clergy and social workers, reaches out to troubled youth in the community.
- The Renaissance Program focuses on three principles—promotion, performance and partnership—to honor and recognize academic achievement and promote the pursuit of excellence.
“There are many clubs that one can find or sports that one can play to express themselves and his or her talents.”
“We have a wonderful school system, countless activities for children to participate in, and an incredibly diverse population, which makes Bergenfield a great community for the youth.”