Director of Development
We are no longer fielding for applicants for this position.
America's Promise Alliance seeks a dedicated, mission-driven, and experienced team member to inspire individuals and institutions to make meaningful financial investments in young people. The Director of Development’s primary responsibility is to assist the Chief Development Officer in planning, organizing, and directing fundraising efforts within an emerging major gifts program, a growing annual fund, and a newly formed planned giving program, while supporting team members leading special events and a national fundraising campaign. Responsibilities may include building relationships with corporate and individual donors, weekly stewardship of existing partners, and identification of new sources of contributed income via cause-related marketing and peer-to-peer fundraising. The Director of Development may also assist with strategy development and ensure internal and external messaging is clear, compelling, and centered in an individualized call to action. This position is an excellent opportunity to provide input on short-term direction, manage daily fundraising operations, lead and implement segments of a national fundraising strategy, and to work independently on recurrent work assignments as part of an integrated and well-balanced team within a national youth-focused nonprofit organization.
The Director of Development must enjoy working in an inclusive and diverse office, have experience working with diversified portfolios, and possess a passion for issues affecting children and youth. The Director of Development will report to the Chief Development Officer and will also work closely with the Communications Department.
The successful candidate will be characterized by integrity, problem-solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness, relationship building, and personal accountability. In addition, the Director of Development must combine strong interpersonal communication skills with impeccable attention to detail. A strong collaborator, the successful candidate must be ready to help others on the smallest task or take initiative to solve a problem or lead a project successfully.
About America's Promise Alliance
With over 450 national partners and 250 state and local communities, America’s Promise leads the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of young people. By leveraging our unique ability to raise awareness, forge connections, and create new knowledge, America’s Promise activates our Alliance and the broader field to spur national-level change no single organization can achieve on its own.
America’s Promise is committed to creating the conditions of success for all children and youth through Five Promises—caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, effective education and opportunities to serve. We recognize that historical and systemic inequities create barriers that keep many young people from experiencing these Five Promises and limit their ability to realize their full potential. We affirm that every child deserves the opportunity to pursue their American Dream and every adult has the responsibility to make it happen. To learn more visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
The major responsibilities for this position include:
- Managing relationships with donors making an annual investment up to $250,000.
- Leading letters of inquiry, proposal preparation, and written correspondence for mid-size grants.
- Executing short-term fundraising strategies to identify and secure individual, corporate, and foundation support to advance annual initiatives.
- Overseeing the creation of briefs to ensure relevant information is available and appropriately disseminated in preparation for meetings with current, prospective, and lapsed donors.
- Acting as a project manager for special seasonal projects including regional cultivation events.
- Using administrative systems and adherence to procedures to track, record and report; ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of all donor engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer.
The Director of Development will be expected to work independently and make decisions within defined objectives, priorities, and deadlines. Specific qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree and five or more years of related work experience.
- One year of supervisory experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, prioritizing communication, transparency, coordination, and teamwork.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize, manage processes, coordinate efforts across various departments, and meet deadlines.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to articulate the mission, objectives and vision of America’s Promise Alliance.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, thorough and grammatically correct written documents.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel and Office), database experience, and facility with budgets a plus.
The Director of Development must also maintain strict confidentiality surrounding information shared by & interactions with donors, senior staff, and board members.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; America's Promise Alliances offers a generous benefits package.