This position is now closed
America's Promise Alliance is seeking a proactive, task-driven, and detail-oriented team player to help coordinate communications projects across all campaigns, assist with media outreach and external relations, and support the organization’s online and social media efforts. This position is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of an integrated communications team within a national youth-focused nonprofit organization.
The Communications Manager must enjoy working in an inclusive and diverse office, have experience working in a fast-paced environment, and possess a passion for issues affecting children and youth. The Communications Manager will report to the Senior Director for Communications and will work closely with teams across the organization.
The successful candidate will be characterized by initiative, problem-solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness, relationship building, and personal accountability. She or he will combine strong organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail. A strong collaborator, he or she will be ready to help others on the smallest task or take initiative to solve a problem or lead a project successfully.
About America's Promise Alliance
With over 450 national partners and 250 state and local communities, America’s Promise leads the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of young people. By leveraging our unique ability to raise awareness, forge connections, and create new knowledge, America’s Promise activates our Alliance and the broader field to spur national-level change no single organization can achieve.
America’s Promise is committed to creating the conditions of success for all children and youth through Five Promises – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, effective education and opportunities to serve. We recognize that historical and systemic inequities create barriers that keep many young people from experiencing these Five Promises and limit their ability to realize their full potential. We affirm that every child deserves the opportunity to pursue their American Dream and every adult has the responsibility to make it happen. To learn more visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
- Coordinate communication activities and deliverables across all America’s Promise campaigns and projects—including, but not limited to, GradNation, Every School Healthy, The YES Project, and How Learning Happens. This entails identifying and tracking progress toward milestones, managing calendars, and serving as the main communication team point of contact for teams across the organization.
- Collaborate with communication team members and America’s Promise’s external PR firm to drive and execute media relations efforts, including the development of media materials, building relationships with and pitching reporters, and maintaining media lists and tracking media activity.
- Lead America’s Promise communications with Alliance members, board and trustee members, funders, and other important stakeholders—planning and managing the flow of updates and outreach.
- Work with the Director of Content Development to write and review content including blog posts, videos, web copy, and partner pieces.
- Work with the Communications Managers charged with digital strategy to support the execution of email and social media outreach and campaigns, the optimization of website and social media platform performance, and the implementation of digital advertising.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 3 years of work experience in a communications position required; experience and/or familiarity with education and positive youth development preferred.
- Experience with an array of project management tasks such as managing calendars, planning meetings and documenting meeting outcomes, developing and maintaining project plans, and tracking timelines.
- Strong oral and written communications skills, using appropriate and diplomatic language, grammar, and style.
- Ability to identify and anticipate problems, analyze situations, and recommend solutions.
- Superb organizational skills, with systematic and meticulous attention to details.
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to work with ambiguity and changing conditions and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and balance a wide range of projects and duties in fast moving environment.
- An excellent team player with a positive attitude and the ability to connect and collaborate with others.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.