Senior Director, Communications
America’s Promise Alliance is seeking an innovative leader to direct the organization’s communication efforts as its Senior Director of Communications. The Senior Director of Communications will be the principal contributor and guide the development, direction and implementation of the overall communications and marketing strategy – both traditional and digital - for America’s Promise, its campaigns and initiatives, as well the Center for Promise (research institute at Boston University). The Senior Director of Communications will work closely with the other members of the Leadership Team as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Senior Director of Communications will lead an integrated communications team and focus on overseeing the day-to-day communications activity for media engagement, and various editorial projects to support the campaigns and initiatives of America’s Promise. Tasks include but are not limited to the development of media materials, building relationships with media and external leaders; informing strategy and implementing communications tactics and initiatives.
About America's Promise Alliance
With over 450 national partners and 250 state and local communities, America’s Promise leads the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of young people. By leveraging our unique ability to raise awareness, forge connections, and create new knowledge, America’s Promise activates our Alliance and the broader field to spur national-level change no single organization can achieve.
America’s Promise is committed to creating the conditions of success for all children and youth through Five Promises – caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, effective education and opportunities to serve. We recognize that historical and systemic inequities create barriers that keep many young people from experiencing these Five Promises and limit their ability to realize their full potential. We affirm that every child deserves the opportunity to pursue their American Dream and every adult has the responsibility to make it happen. To learn more visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
- Have a highly collaborative work style
- Have experience in developing and implementing communications strategies
- Possess excellent writing/editing and verbal communications skills
- Have a strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Be a relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- Have high energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Have a sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Be a self-starter, able to work independently, and with an entrepreneurial style;
- Enjoy creating and implementing new initiatives
- Develop, implement, and evaluate communications plans across the organization’s audiences including marketing and digital strategies that will raise the profile and visibility of America’s Promise, its campaigns and initiatives, as well as the Center for Promise.
- Lead website enhancement strategy and ensure all APA websites reflect the vision and mission of the organization. Ensure that new and consistent information is posted regularly.
- Lead media relations activity and engagement, including building relationships with reporters/editors in key publications to enhance the thought-leadership of America’s Promise.
- Oversee and lead an integrated and creative social media strategy, developing targeted social media campaigns, and social advertising. Manage online communities, digital event strategies, and production. Foster key relationships and information sharing. Create and manage a comprehensive content calendar across multimedia channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Review, write, and edit organizational documents such as brochures, reports, briefs, department and campaign overviews, and web content in addition to developing multi-media stories that are engaging, inspirational, and solutions-driven to support the work of America’s Promise and its Alliance.
- Serve as the lead communications contact with funders and other partners on specific campaigns and initiatives.
- Provide media and content development support to campaigns and initiatives, as appropriate.
- Review, contribute, and edit metrics reports for program-specific campaigns and projects.
Specific requirements include
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Public/Media Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism) required. Graduate degree in related field a plus.
- Position requires at least 7-8 years of work experience in communications, digital, and/or online marketing.
- A strong understanding of the synergies between media and digital strategy.
- A strong working knowledge of digital platforms – web, social media, e-marketing, video – and how it integrates within a high-functioning communications team.
- Experience working with media vendors like Cision, Meltwater, TrendKite and/or CoverageBook desirable.
- Familiarity with content management systems (Drupal a plus) and basic HTML.
- A strong interest in youth development/education ideal.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in this position to [email protected]. Please include the position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.