Senior Director, Development
This position represents an excellent opportunity for learning and professional growth in the context of addressing a major societal issue. The successful candidate will be characterized by initiative, problem solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness, relationship building, and personal accountability. She or he will combine strong organizational skills with a meticulous attention to detail. He or she will listen carefully, anticipate and pro-actively address the needs and concerns of senior team members, as well as the team as a whole. A strong collaborator, he or she will be ready to help others on the smallest task or take initiative to solve a problem or lead a project successfully.
About America’s Promise Alliance
For more than 20 years, America’s Promise Alliance has led the nation’s largest network of institutions, communities and individuals working to improve the lives of young people. By activating our network of more than 450 national partners, 200 communities and 100,000 individuals representing every state in the nation, America’s Promise works to put more children and youth on a pathway to adult success and mobilize more people to make that pathway possible.
At America’s Promise, we ground our work in the common-sense and evidence-based principles of what we know all young people need to thrive. These principles are expressed in our Five Promises—caring adults, safe spaces, a healthy start, an effective education and opportunities to serve. In close collaboration with our Alliance partners, we harness our unique power to communicate, connect and create knowledge that mobilizes more people to provide these promises for our country’s young people, and ultimately spur the national level change no single organization can achieve.
Serve as relationship manager for a portfolio of current donors and warm prospects, identifying (and in some cases executing) the necessary cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities necessary to maintain and grow support from that assigned portfolio. Specific activities include:
- Drafting and compiling concept papers, proposals, and reports that effectively communicate the organization’s mission, vision, key activities that highlight the connection and alignment to the donor’s interests and priorities.
- Preparing and coordinating one-on-one engagement activities (e.g., phone calls, meetings, site visits, etc.), including preparing senior staff and key volunteers, documenting notes and next steps, and ensuring any necessary follow-up is complete.
- Executing additional grants administration activities (e.g., submitting invoices, supporting funder audits, etc.) as necessary.
- Work with VP to design overall fundraising strategy for the organization.
- Track and report overall progress of the assigned portfolio, including both activities and revenue projections, utilizing standard report templates and the organization’s contact management system.
- Collaborate with other teams (e.g., Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships, Communications, and Center for Promise) to ensure that all information and data shared with donors is correct, up-to-date, and reflective of the organization’s work.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 7-8 years’ work experience required; relevant experience in development or relationship management preferred; experience and/or familiarity with education and positive youth development preferred.
- The potential to be a “front-line fundraiser,” directly executing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities with an assigned portfolio of donors.
- Strong oral and written communications skills, using appropriate and diplomatic language, grammar, spelling, and style.
- Ability to identify and anticipate problems, analyze situations and recommend solutions;
- Demonstrated achievement in a demanding work environment;
- Very well organized, with systematic and meticulous attention to details;
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to work with ambiguity and changing conditions and priorities.
- Ability to manage and balance a wide range of projects and duties in fast moving environment;
- A proactive, “can-do” approach; demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness;
- An excellent team player with a positive attitude and the ability to connect and collaborate with others;
- Accountable – willing to accept appropriate levels of responsibility for tasks, projects and outcomes;
- Flexibility in working hours– some evening and weekend work may be required;
- Intermediate or better proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products and general ability to learn new software; experience with Salesforce contact management system preferred.
Compensation & benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in this position to [email protected]. Please include the position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.