Game Changers: Celebrating & Learning from Black Youth Leadership
What can we learn from Black history about centering youth leadership?
How can adults and youth partner together to make meaningful change?
What are Black youth telling adults in power, and are they listening?
As we reflect on our country’s history and the progress Black people have led, we see a strong legacy of youth leadership. Many of the major accomplishments in the fight for equality have been the result of youth activism, youth-led policy change, and the relentless action of new generations unsatisfied with the status quo. While the energy of youth leadership is valuable in its own right, it can have even more impact when combined with support from adults who hold power.
This Black History Month, America’s Promise Alliance invites you to join us in a conversation with Black youth and adult leaders to explore how we can share power and work across generations to write the next chapter of progress for the United States.
Missed the event? Watch the recording here:
Highlighted insights from Black Leaders:
- Beyond Grit & Resilience, Dr. Charles Cole III
- From the War on Poverty to the War on Crime, Elizabeth Hinton
- On Intersectionality: Essential Writings, Kimberlé Crenshaw
- Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools, Monique Morris (and accompanying TED Talk)
- The Education of Blacks in the South, James D. Anderson
- African American History: From Emancipation to the Present (free course open to the public), Yale University
- Dear Adult Leaders: Black Students Want to Escape Their Schools’ Oppressive Cultures. Declare Systemic Racism a Public Health Crisis, Cristian Gaines
- Dear Adult Leaders: America’s Young People Need to Be Seen and Heard. 3 Lessons From 22 Open Letters From Youth, Trinity Woodson
- Growing Pains (TEDxYouth video), Lily Chen, Nina Lanciloti, Nia Walker
- Youth Discussion Guide (downloadable resource), America’s Promise Alliance
- Youth Speak about Addressing Race and Racism in Schools (video highlight), America’s Promise Alliance