The State of GradNation: Data, Policies, and Practices Impacting High School Graduation Rates
The current national graduation rate now stands at 84 percent—a new all-time high—and three million more students have graduated from high school rather than dropping out, resulting in significant benefits for them, our economy, and our nation. But this year’s report comes at a turning point for the nation, as the Every Student Succeeds Act becomes a reality and the power of accountability moves from the federal government into the hands of states. It also comes amid growing calls to revamp high school education to better equip students with the skills they need to succeed in postsecondary education and a 21st century workforce.
The convening partners of the GradNation campaign—America’s Promise Alliance, The Alliance for Excellent Education, Civic Enterprises, and The Everyone Graduates Center—invite you to learn more about the current state of high school graduation in our country.
The event will highlight the release of the 2018 Building a Grad Nation report authored by Civic Enterprises and The Everyone Graduates Center, and include a moderated panel conversation to address the key challenges and promising practices associated with raising graduation rates and improving postsecondary pathways, featuring voices from diverse leaders in the field.
Speakers will include:
- Monica Almond, Ph.D., senior associate for policy development and government relations, The Alliance for Excellent Education
- Bob Balfanz, Ph.D., director, Everyone Graduates Center at Johns Hopkins University School of Education
- John Bridgeland, president and CEO, Civic Enterprises
- Kelem Butts, director of charitable operations, AT&T
- Jennifer DePaoli, Ph.D., senior research and policy advisor, Civic Enterprises
- Amia Foston, Ph.D., strategic impact and research officer, Lumina Foundation
- John Gomperts, president and CEO, America’s Promise Alliance
- Deycy Hernandez, director, Promesa Boyle Heights (Los Angeles)
- Monika Kincheloe, senior director of strategic initiatives and partnerships, America’s Promise Alliance
- Lillian Lowery, vice president for preK-12 policy and practice, The Education Trust
- Delece Smith-Barrow, senior editor, Hechinger Report
If you are unable to join us in-person, join the livestream on June 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM EST here.
About the Building a Grad Nation Report
The 2018 Building a Grad Nation report is co-authored by Civic Enterprises and Everyone Graduates Center, and released in partnership with America’s Promise Alliance and the Alliance for Excellent Education. The report examines both progress and challenges toward reaching the GradNation campaign goal of a national on-time graduation rate of 90 percent, and for the first time, includes analysis of how graduation rates are translating at the postsecondary level. The report is supported by AT&T as lead sponsor and the Lumina Foundation as supporting sponsor.