Floyd County, Indiana
- Community name: Floyd County
- Website: http://www.floydcounty.in.gov/
- Population: 74,679
- Graduation rate: 92.3%
- Youth poverty rate: 20.9%
Second-time 100 Best winner Floyd County was honored for its continued commitment to youth which includes a focus on education and child support services. The county implemented the national Blessing in a Backpack program which provides nutritious foods for students in grades K- 5 who qualify for free or reduced-price meal programs. Floyd County also hosts Rauch Inc., a local initiative to support families and people with disabilities. The initiative includes a parent volunteer program to assist prospective and current parents with living a balanced lifestyle, and learning about a child’s needs and healthy development. In addition, the county hosts educational initiatives like Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, a program founded by the singer, which provides a free book each month to children up to age five. The program has supplied more than 72,000 books to nearly 4,600 children to date. The county also offers a scholarship program, the Bulldog Scholar, which awards students college credits based on attendance and academic performance.
- Youth Count is an organization that partners with schools, local government and other youth programs to build planned, cohesive programming for young people. Youth County is supported in part by local United Way, Kiwanis Club and Rotary Club chapters.
- Hope Southern Indiana , formerly the Interfaith Community Council, is a community ministry that assists youth and families with a variety of services and opportunities, including providing food, emergency financial assistance, seasonal programs and youth development services.
- Blessing in a Backpack provides backpacks filled with nutritious food for the weekend for youth in grades K-5 who qualify for free or reduced price meal programs.
- Rauch, Inc . is an organization to support people and families with disabilities. One program offers volunteers who assist prospective and current parents who need help adjusting to parenthood. Volunteers educate new parents about a balanced lifestyle, child’s needs and healthy development.
- Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library , a program started by country singer Dolly Parton, promotes youth literacy by providing free books each month to children up to age five.
- Bulldog Scholar is a scholarship program through the local school system that awards students college credits based on academic performance and attendance.
“The community that surrounds you is crucial to your growth. Our area is so creative, supporting of the arts and charities and helps the youth grow up to be better people.”
“I feel that Floyd County has the exact building blocks necessary to create strong, independent youth who will be the future leaders of the next generation and will continue sharpening our county’s skills as individuals and as a whole.”