- Community name: Greenacres
- Community or city website
- Population: 37,573
- Graduation rate: 64.0%
- Youth poverty rate: 15.4%
OverviewGreenacres cares for its youth by hosting community-wide recreational programs, literacy initiatives and leadership development opportunities. Greenacres provides support for youth development inside the classroom and outside the local community. For example, Greenacres is focused on health and childcare programs that help strengthen families. One local organization, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for Healthy Kids, Healthy Communities, offers community gardens and nutrition education to the Hispanic and Haitian community.
- The Early Learning Coalition provides afterschool child care and maintains reduced rates for families.
The Youth Delegates in Action Council serves as the collective voice of youth participants of all ages in youth programs and helps develop leadership skills.
- The Literacy Coalition promotes reading through the “Mayor’s Challenge” and the national “Read for the Record” campaign.
The Jr. Counselor and Counselor in Training programs help students to develop leadership skills and provide a forum for mentoring.
- The Woman, Infant and Child facility provides educational classes and financial aid to 5,000 residents annually.
The Youth Programs gave me an opportunity to interact with other children my age, a sense of belonging and a safe place to go when my parents were at work. The program mentors helped me with my homework, which made a big difference in my life.
Through the Cool Zone program in middle school, I learned a lot, made friends and went on trips. Being a C.I.T, I developed morale, patience and integrity.