Hanover County, Virginia
- Community name: Hanover County
- Community or city website
- Population: 99,933
- Graduation rate: 95.0%
- Youth poverty rate: 5.7%
OverviewHanover County has a history of working to improve the high school graduation rate and development of its young people in its community. Local programs and community groups support youth of all ages by teaching the value of mentoring and volunteerism as well as offering career-focused education and developing healthy living habits.
- The Kids Intensive Treatment Team provides treatment for troubled adolescents and reduces the use of expensive restrictive congregant care placements.
The Graduate Warrantee Program guarantees that students are capable of communication, computation and career skills for employers and post-secondary institutions.
- Vocational, Technical and Alternative Education Study drives instructional programming for workforce development and high school curriculum.
Move and Groove brings parents and children together to combat obesity and has reduced the number of “at-risk” children significantly in Hanover.
- Teens Care Too has helped to increase awareness of substance abuse prevention among Hanover teens.
The Hanover Youth Service Council has given me new opportunities to help my community and showed me the importance of helping people.