Long Island, NY Community Summit
Long Island, New York
Long Island GradNation Community Summit
Increasing Graduation Rate on Long Island
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
8:30am – 4:00pm
Long Island University Post
720 Northern Blvd
Brookville, NY 11548
The Long Island Community Summit is designed to spotlight our collective goals to improve graduation rates for all young people. Mentor New York is proud to be the only Long Island host for a GradNation Community Summit. We will bring together close to 150 leaders from the business world, education and higher education institutions, government, community and religious leaders, parents and, most importantly, youth themselves. We will identify promising strategies to undertake collectively and our action plan will be one created by the attendees as they collaborate together.
Throughout the day attendees will learn about addressing chronic absenteeism, how business and civic organizations can support young people’s academic success and what resources and support young people need to succeed from their point of view.
To register: www.mentornewyork.org
Local Sponsors & Co-Conveners
- AT&T, Beth Page Federal Credit Union
- PLENARY SESSION I: Corporations’ Role and Impact on Graduation Rates:
- 3 leading companies will discuss how they are putting their values into action. Learn about their business case for services, best practices, their solutions to closing the gap in graduation rates.
- Facilitators: AT&T Aspire Mentoring Program, Certilman Balin Adler & Hyman, LLP, L.I.K.E Mentoring Programs, EY Mentoring
- WORKSHOP: Cracking the Code: Addressing Chronic Absenteeism
- An overview of Chronic Absenteeism and the impact it has on the academic career of a young person. Best practices, successful models and real time design and evaluation tools that can help a community committed to increasing attendance.
- Facilitators: Sarah Peterson and Sarah Jonas, New York City Department of Education
- PLENARY SESSION II and Lunch: The Impact Young Adults and Youth Have on Graduation Rates
- Sponsored by Bethpage Federal Credit Union
- Youth voices are key to addressing the needs of the students. Two successful young non-profit leaders and a current college mentee will share what helped them move ahead and what youth need.
- Facilitators: Amanda Matos, Founder, WomenHood Project, Karim Abouelnaga, Co-Founder and CEO, Practice Makes Perfect, Katherine Dunn, Nassau Community College Student
- PLENARY SESSION III: Tools and Strategies to Promote Higher Education
- Learn from the College Board the impact they are having across New York State and how new resources and strategies can ensure success for all students.
- Facilitator: College Board
- PLENARY SESSION IV: The Impact We Can Have on Graduation Rates on Long Island: Together We Can Make it Happen!
- After a day filled with identifying key challenges, exploring best practices, and understanding the different needs of young people on Long Island, together we will explore some key strategies and goals that we can implement across sectors and Long Island Schools that will result in reducing the dropout rate. Share your ideas and insights with key community leaders as we can together achieve our goals.
- Facilitator: Linda Armyn, Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Bethpage Federal Credit Union and Vaughn McKoy, JD, MBA, Managing Director and Vice President - Legal, PSEG Long Island