- Community name: Longview
- Community or city website
- Population: 78,038
- Graduation rate: 71.3%
- Youth poverty rate: 22.4%
Longview, a two-time 100 Best winner, continues to make its young residents a priority. The city not only has abundant out-of-school activity centers, youth recreation activities and numerous volunteer opportunities, but Longview also designates approximately 10 percent of its annual budget toward community services that directly benefit its youth. Overall, the residents remain committed to helping their young people maneuver the challenges they face on the road to adulthood.
Specifically, Longview’s Youth Action Committee allows its young residents to participate in numerous community volunteer projects, leadership development exercises and act as the youth voice when reporting to the City of Longview departments. The Longview Economic Development Corporation Workforce Academy helps prepare local students for higher education by holding evening classes for college credits. Partners in Prevention is a mentoring program that offers year-round, out-of-school youth programming, including athletic and art classes, money management and life skills classes. Through these efforts, Longview’s graduation rate remains above 70 percent.
- Project REACH implements evidence-based strategies that build a solid foundation for the overall health and well-being of adolescents.
- The Youth Action Committee is composed of local youth that participate in numerous community volunteer projects, leadership development exercises and serve as the youth voice for the City of Longview departments.
- Adopt A School Partnership allows businesses and churches to support college campuses with volunteers, incentives and supplies.
- Longview Economic Development Corporation Workforce Academy holds evening classes so local students can obtain college credits.
- The SeeSaw Children's Place is an after-school and summer child care program that offers services for working and low-income families.
- The Compassion Clinic is free health care and dental service provider operated by a local church.
- Partners in Prevention is a mentoring program that offers year-round, out-of-school youth programming, including athletic and art classes, money management and life skills classes.
I enjoy living in Longview because I've been able to join the Circles group on Tuesday night. There is also the ArtsView theatre with scholarships for kids. There are many sport activites to choose from as well. I would suggest Longview to any of my friends, as a great place to live.
I have lived in Longview all my life. I am now in the 11th grade. My school counselor is always willing to listen and help me.