Milwaukee Dropout Prevention Summit
Summit Location: TBD
- The Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association (MTEA), with
support from the Wisconsin Education Association Council (WEAC) and the
National Education Association (NEA), will convene a summit in Milwaukee to
promote understanding of the dropout crisis, learn about best practices, and
mobilize the community.
- In the district’s Working Together, Achieving More strategic plan, Milwaukee Public Schools has
identified a goal of gradually increasing the graduation rates in MPS to 75% by
2012. The most recent data shows the MPS graduation rate at 67%, which is on
track according to the districts’ metrics in the strategic plan.
- The summit objectives are:
1. Increase the level of community awareness about the local dropout crisis.
2. Explore best practices that stakeholders use in their work with young
people that contribute to reduced dropout rates.
3. Examine, build upon, and refine current plans that address the dropout
crisis, and establish sustained commitment to the plan from a broad array
of community stakeholders.
4. Inspire local leaders to get involved in solving the local dropout crisis.
Summit Planning Team: TBD