Newport News, Virginia
- Community name: Newport News
- Website: http://www.nngov.com/
- Population: 180,719
- Graduation rate: 87.0%
- Youth poverty rate: 23.8%
Newport News, a five-time 100 Best winner, was again honored for its commitment to youth evident in the array of prevention programs, service opportunities and health resources the city offers its youth. To help increase community safety, the Keeping Our Kids Safe Action Plan established a violence prevention network, while the Targeted Outreach Program worked with youth to help them find alternatives to gangs. The program provides positive mentors, teaches life skills and creates a safe haven for youth to meet and socialize. To support healthy lifestyles, the Newport News Kids Café supplies youth with enrichment activities and nutrition education along with healthy meals at 13 different locations. Community service is another component of the youth experience here and the Youth Volunteer Corps of Hampton Roads works with youth ages 11 to 18 in volunteer projects including grocery distribution to people in need and painting projects for elderly homeowners.
- The Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula distributes purchased and donated food and grocery products to the Newport News Kids Cafe, which is a structured after-school program that promotes health, education and safety to at-risk children ages 6-18.
- The Ride On Youth Bus Pass Program is a program to assist youth ages 17 and younger who don’t have access to other transportation. Youth who register for the program receive unlimited free bus rides on any regular routes of Hampton Roads Transit originating in Newport News.
- The Targeted Outreach Program is a city-wide gang prevention program dedicated to providing youth with constructive alternatives to gangs, including opportunities for developing life skills, positive role models and a safe place to meet.
- The Office of Human Affairs Resource Mothers Program works with teenage mothers who have limited support and are having babies for the first time by providing intensive training and supervision. This program helps enroll participants in pre- and post-natal services, provides health and nutrition advice and assists in developing parenting skills.
“My community has been a major motivation and support system for me and has eased the transition from teenager to young adult.”
“Not only has my city provided youth with many volunteer opportunities, but has opened the door for the youth to be involved in local government.”