Oregon Dropout Prevention Summit
Summit Location Details/Start and End Times: Salem Convention Center, Salem, Oregon.
Over 300 educators, business leaders, students, and community leaders came together for the Oregon Diploma Summit at the Salem Conference Center. This summit, hosted by the Oregon Department of Education, provided a forum for participants to learn about and discuss the changes to the Oregon Diploma and the opportunity to create action plans to support all students in meeting these new requirements. Special attention was placed on how to meet the needs of disadvantaged students and to ensure that all students receive the supports, resources, and opportunities that will help them succeed in school and beyond. Participants heard from speakers including Superintendent Castillo, Tim Nesbitt of the Governor’s office, State Board Chair Duncan Wyse, Christine Tell from Achieve, and Andrew Mason of Open Meadow. The second half of the day was dedicated to discussion and planning. Participants were asked to develop an action plan to actively move this work forward.
Summit Planning Team:
Summit planning and execution will involve key leaders and decision-makers from the following sectors and organizations.
- Governors Office
- State Agencies: Oregon Department of Education, Oregon Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development, Oregon State Board of Education, Oregon Department of Human Services, Oregon Employment Department, Bureau of Labor and Industries, Oregon Department of Administrative Services
- Youth: Superintendent’s Youth Advisory Team, Oregon Association of Student Councils, Career and Technical Education Student Leadership, Boys & Girls Club, ELL & migrant youth groups, Youth Corrections, Oregon Youth Conservation Corp, Job Corps, Youth Council
- Business: Oregon Workforce Investment Board, Oregon Business Council, Oregon Business Association, Associated Oregon Industries, Business Advisory Team, Employers for Education Excellence, Chambers of Commerce, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Business Education Compact
- Education: Representatives from K-12 districts, schools, charter schools, private schools, alternative education, special education; Oregon University System, private colleges, community colleges, schools of education; Oregon Association of Education Service Districts
- Nonprofit Partners & Commissions: Confederation of Oregon School Administrators, Oregon Education Association, Oregon School Boards Association, Teacher Standards and Practices Commission, Chalkboard Project, Stand for Children, Connected By 25, Oregon PTA, SOLV, Tribal representatives, State Advisory Council for Special Education (SACSE), The Arc, Commission for Children and Families
- State Legislators: House and Senate Education Committees, Speaker of the House, Senate President, Ways & Means Committee Co-Chairs
- Other Sectors: Meyer Memorial Trust, Gates Foundation, Youth With a Mission, Salem Leadership Foundation, Military