Postdoctoral Fellow Position Opening
Center for Promise
America’s Promise Alliance and Boston University School of Education
The Center for Promise (CfP), the research institute for America’s Promise Alliance housed at the Boston University School of Education, is actively seeking a postdoctoral researcher to lead quantitative research studies under the mentorship of Executive Director Jonathan Zaff. The Center’s research agenda explores how to create the conditions so that all young people have an opportunity to thrive academically, socially, emotionally, vocationally, and civically. Specific topics may include how social supports promote academic success within risk-immersed contexts, how community-level efforts support the positive youth development of youth of color and youth living in low-income communities, and ways to promote positive youth development among youth involved with the juvenile justice and child welfare systems; among other studies. Findings from these studies will inform community-based, state-level, and national-level efforts to effectively support young people at the greatest risk of falling off positive developmental trajectories.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in applied child and youth development and possess advanced statistical methodological skills. The candidate will also have an appreciation for taking a mixed-methodological approach to answering research questions. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual able to work efficiently and productively in a fast-paced, multifaceted research environment. The candidate should be able to lead a team of researchers as well as work successfully as a team member. Flexibility in work hours and availability for travel is essential.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the overall logistical tasks of the study
- Developing quantitative protocols and analysis plans
- Supervising and mentoring a team of researchers, including graduate students
- Presenting research findings at national and international meetings
- Publishing of research findings in peer-reviewed journals and special interest publications
- Writing reports for practice and policy audiences
- Contributing to general project oversight and management
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in a social science field with a focus on developmental science (e.g., psychology, sociology, child development, family studies, education, quantitative methods, or measurement, statistics and evaluation)
- Knowledge of mixed-methods designs
- Expertise with advanced quantitative statistical methods, such as structural equation modeling, fixed-effects/multi-level modeling, and longitudinal analysis
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to work in youth development
- Enthusiasm for intellectual rigor and engagement
- Excellent writing ability and publication record
- Ability and willingness to work productively in a fast-paced and often demanding environment, with deadlines
- Experience working in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with project management is a plus.
Application Submission and Timeline
Please send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, two to three publications, and the names and contact information of three references in an email to:
Jonathan F. Zaff, Ph.D., Executive Director: [email protected].
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
About the Center for Promise
The Center for Promise, the applied research institute of America’s Promise Alliance, is housed at the Boston University School of Education and led by Executive Director Jonathan Zaff. The mission of the Center is to develop a deep knowledge and understanding about what is needed to help create the conditions so that all young people in America have the opportunity to succeed in school and life. The Center’s work adds to the academic exploration of these issues and helps give communities and individuals the tools and knowledge to effectively work together to support their young people.