Sacramento, CA Community Summit
Sacramento GradNation Action Summit
Event Date and Time:
October 8, 2015
Los Rios Community College, Workforce Development Office, 1410 Ethan Way, Sacramento, CA 95825
Convening Organization and Website:
Event Planner Contact Info:
Event Theme and/or Topics:
People Reaching Out, in partnership with America’s Promise Alliance and AT&T, will host the Sacramento GradNation Action Summit. The purpose of the summit is to bring together four of the largest school districts in the region to develop an action plan designed to increase graduation rates to 90% throughout the Sacramento Region.
- David W. Gordon - Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools
- Chelsea Bowler – Principal, Valley Hi School
- Youth Wellbeing Index Mapping – University of Davis Collaborative Planning, in partnership with local youth, will provide information on the supports and opportunities that surround the targeted schools.
- Successes in Raising Graduation Rates – Presentation by a school principal who has increased graduation rates over the last three years at her school.
- Creating an Action Plan – At the end of the day’s summit, the group will agree on key focus areas with outcomes and how their communities can assist them.
The summit committee is composed of AT&T, Closing the Gap Foundation, United Way, California Capitol Region, Sacramento County office Of Education, University of California, Davis, School of Education and People Reaching Out. Together the committee determined, based on data from four of the largest Districts in the Sacramento Region, that the focus of the summit will be on a listening session to determine what key programs, services or policy changes will best assist schools and districts in increasing graduation rates. The Planning Committee has met with the superintendents of the identified school districts, which include high schools with some of the lowest graduation rates in the region. Through these meetings, it is clear that this should be a regional discussion and approach.