The Dropout Prevention Summits are intended to build a sense of urgency around the crisis, secure a commitment to action from leaders in all sectors and most importantly, to result in follow-up action plans to strengthen current efforts and initiate new strategic activity to help more young people graduate from high school ready for college, work and life.
America's Promise Alliance has developed the Summit Toolbox to help conveners plan and execute successful summit events that lead to follow-up action planning and implementation at the local and state level.
The Summit Toolbox contains tips, templates, reference materials and other resources to help you plan a successful dropout prevention summit that integrates critical components for success.
Critical Components of Dropout Prevention Summits:
- Demonstrated leadership from multiple sectors, preferably through direct participation of elected officials, chamber of commerce leaders and/or major employers, education officials, faith leaders, academia, media and the non-profit youth-serving community, among others.
- Building upon and partnering with existing local education reform efforts.
- Youth voice and leadership, in the planning of the summit, visible speaking roles, and follow-up activities.
- A focus on policy implications and opportunities to influence policy development at the local, state and/or federal level.
- Promoting issues important to high-need populations, including youth in care, homeless and runaway youth, teen parents, etc.
- Topical discussions that will result in the development of an action plan to improve youth outcomes by strengthening low-performing schools and providing more wraparound supports to the young people who need them most in your community.
- Demonstrated commitment to follow-up action planning and execution.
While America’s Promise Alliance is providing support to 50 state and 50 city summits, we encourage every community to answer our call to action and mobilize all sectors to address the dropout crisis. The tools presented here can help you get on your way.