America’s Promise Alliance is seeking an experienced writer and storyteller who can also support media outreach and external relations, as well as the organization’s online and social media efforts. This position is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of an integrated communications team within a national youth-focused nonprofit organization.
The Senior Manager must enjoy working in an inclusive and diverse office, have experience operating in a fast-paced environment, and possess a passion for issues affecting young people. The Communications Senior Manager will report to the Senior Director for Communications and will work closely with the America’s Promise research center, Alliance Engagement team, and various program directors to amplify the latest research and recommendations, Alliance news and offerings, and events and initiatives. The Senior Manager works in close partnership with a cross-functional communications team on all aspects of content development and storytelling--from concept and strategy to implementation and promotion.
America’s Promise is a coalition of national and community-level youth-supporting organizations, known as our Alliance members. This position will play an essential role in crafting powerful stories about the differences that Alliance members are making for and with young people across the country. The ideal candidate will have deep storytelling experience across a variety of short and long formats, including written interviews, profile pieces, blog posts, and op eds. The ideal candidate will also have knowledge of the education and youth development fields and experience writing about young people and the issues and experiences that shape their lives. Visual and video storytelling experience is preferred but not required.
The successful candidate will be characterized by initiative, problem-solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness, relationship building, collaboration, and personal accountability.
About America’s Promise Alliance
America’s Promise Alliance is the driving force behind a nationwide movement to improve the lives and futures of America’s youth. Its work is anchored in the belief that every young person deserves to succeed, and every adult is responsible for making that happen. By bringing together hundreds of national nonprofits, businesses, community and civic leaders, educators, citizens, and young people, the Alliance does what no single organization can do on its own: catalyze action on a scale that reaches millions of young people.
To learn more follow us @AmericasPromise or visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
- Collaborate with program directors, project managers, researchers, and senior executives to tell the story of America’s Promise and its Alliance members.
- · Actively contribute to the organization’s upcoming rebrand effort and bring the new brand identity to life through storytelling and messaging.
- Learn about and help amplify the stories, experiences, and perspectives of young people and communities that are facing the most systemic barriers. Unearth potential story ideas from America’s Promise’s various partners and networks.
- Write the organization’s monthly e-newsletter and regular e-blasts. Edit blogs, opinion pieces, and research reports from writers with varying levels of experience, from first-time writers to established researchers and experts.
- Stay abreast of current trends in digital storytelling and adhere to ethical and stylistic standards of advocacy journalism.
- Produce collateral for fundraising, as well as speeches, talking points, and op-eds for CEO, as well as other senior leaders and members of the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with communication team members and America’s Promise’s external PR firm to drive and execute media relations efforts, including the development of media materials, building relationships with and pitching reporters, and maintaining media lists and tracking media activity.
- Work with the Senior Communications Managers charged with digital and social strategy to support the execution of email and social media outreach and campaigns, the optimization of website and social media platform performance, and the implementation of digital advertising.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills, using compelling language, style, and tone.
- Strong research and editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must be both diplomatic and focused, able to work with everyone from high school students to senior executives.
- Sound organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to manage and balance a wide range of projects and duties in fast moving environment under tight deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to work with ambiguity and changing conditions and priorities.
- The ability to not only spot problems but articulate solutions—and guide and empower others in executing them.
- An excellent team player with a positive attitude and the ability to connect and collaborate with others.
- Creativity, curiosity, and eagerness in taking initiative with a solutions-based approach to writing and messaging as well as media outreach.
- Experience or interest in audience engagement, social and digital media, content promotion with a strong working knowledge of creating original content across digital platforms – web, social media, e-marketing, video – and how it integrates within a high-functioning communications team.
- Sensitivity to vulnerable populations and young people who have experienced trauma.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or any discipline that fosters strong writing skills is required. Graduate degree in related field a plus.
- Position requires at least 4 years of work experience in a communications position; ideally with journalism, advocacy focused writing, or related experience emphasizing persuasive storytelling. Journalistic experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the education and youth development fields and experience writing about young people and the practitioners and policymakers that support them.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience with a range of $65,000-$75,000.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in this position to [email protected]. Please include the position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.